Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Employee Relations

What is so difficult about the concept of work? When I worked at the front desk, I had to deal with a LOT of absenteeism. I wasn’t the actual receptionist, I had my own 2 jobs to do, but when we had turnover (for WEEKS at a time!) or when they would call in sick (regularly!), I would cover the desk. Did I get an hour every day for lunch? Hell no. 90% of the time, I would eat in between phone calls and interviewees coming in. If I got a half hour, I was happy. I never expected to take an HOUR when there were so many other things going on. And I sure as hell didn’t have 4 other people to ask to cover. There was my boss, whom I would never ask, since she’s the BOSS, and one other recruiter, who was just as busy most of the time!

Furthermore, if you’re going to ask someone else to cover, don’t ask me for a whole hour. I have things to do too. You don’t have to ask ME every time, either. And if you are going to ask… how about not at 12:40? When I’m already eating, thinking you’ve been a big girl and have taken care of it yourself? I HAVE THINGS TO DO TOO. Stop being lazy, stop being helpless, stop being inefficient. And if I come to cover… have food. Seriously. Don’t ORDER when that will take an hour to arrive, and you could walk THREE MINUTES to get the fucking food.

Ahem.
Back to our regularly scheduled programming…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home