Thursday, February 23, 2006

Powerful quote of the day

I think the Apocalypse is happening all around us. We go on eating desserts and watching TV. I know I do. I wish we were more capable of sustained passion and sustained resistance. We should be screaming and what we do is gossip. -Lydia Millet
I'll be checking out her books, I think. Check them out at Amazon. She sounds interesting and funny and maybe I'll be thinking more soon. All good things!

This is an interview with her at The Elegant Variation, which is a literary blog that I am now going to have to read regularly. Oh, the humanity!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the most amazing quote ever! I would rush right out and buy all of her books if I didn't already have them!

-Popp

2:46 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Anybody who writes a book called "George Bush, Dark Prince of Love" gets a thumbs-up in my book.

I actually stopped visiting Defamer and Gawker because I found myself addicted to the gossip on there, and I seriously felt dirty afterwards. All this information, salacious and otherwise, brings on some kind of complacency. I can't put my finger on exactly how and why it works, but it disturbs me too.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home